Wondering How to change battery in jeep key fob? The key fob is a remote-control device that most cars these days use, in order to grant easy access to the car for their owners.
With the help of a key fob, you no longer need to use a key to open the doors of a car, lock it, or get access to its trunk. Everything is done with the push of a button.
Key fobs are powered by a small battery, becoming non-functional once the battery is depleted. Replacing the battery is a must if you want to use a fully-functional key fob.
Here is everything you need to know to change the battery in a jeep key fob.
What is a Key Fob?
The key fob is a mobile security device, meant to help us use a car in a convenient and safer manner.
This hardware device features built-in security measures that grant access only to those holding the device.
Without it, anyone else will find it impossible to get access to a vehicle or even start its engine, in case of a forced entrance. In other words, it provides keyless entry to a physical object, in this case, a car.
This convenient access can be disturbed only by a malfunctioning of the key fob or by a depleted key fob battery.
How Do Key Fobs Work?
Key fobs work by generating a security code. This code is unique and is recognized by the computer of one single car.
This is why you can open only your car with a key fob, without having access to other vehicles in a parking lot.
The security code will be transmitted to the car’s computer in the form of a signal. The car’s computer will know it is you and will open the doors.
If the battery inside the key fob gets depleted, you can still open the car’s door with the actual key of the car.
It may be slightly more inconvenient, but it will allow you to use the car until the problem is solved.
How To Change Battery in Jeep Key Fob
To install a new battery inside the key fob unit, all you need is the battery, a small screwdriver with a flat head, and a couple of minutes. Use the screwdriver with care on your key fob, to avoid unwanted damages.
Do you have to reprogram a key fob after replacing the battery?
In the majority of the cases, the key fob will work properly immediately after the batter was changed.
The procedure should not affect the functionality of the key fob. If the key fob doesn’t work, you may have to reprogram the receiver or the key fob itself.
What battery size does the jeep key fob take?
Because it is such a small device, the jeep key fob requires a very small battery. More precisely, it needs a coin cell battery, model CR 2032, to work properly at all times.
As you can see, it’s not a battery that is hard to find or impossible to replace.
Step-By-Step Installation Guide Changing a Battery KEY Fob
01. Remove the metal key from the key fob. This can be done by grabbing onto the metal end of the key that is visible on the key fob and pulling onto it;
02. Take a small screwdriver and place its head in between the two plastic halves of the key fob. The middle section will be clearly visible after removing the metal key. The screwdriver should have a flat head;
03. After positioning the screwdriver’s head in the loose edge between the two plastic parts of the key fob, gently twist the screwdriver until they begin coming apart;
04. Continue doing this operation on all sides of the key fob, which will push the plastic parts apart even more; Once they are sufficiently wide apart, use your hand to remove the first plastic part that comes loose;
With your screwdriver, continue pushing apart the next plastic part. It is the one that is placed around the buttons of the key fob; When this part starts to come off, take it away with your hand;
05. Then place the screwdriver on the side of the part containing the buttons and gently push it upward. The part should start to come up.
This unit will not come off completely, like the other parts you removed so far. But it will open and will reveal the location of the battery;
06. Use the screwdriver to push the battery out of its place. It will be held in position by a few metal pieces. The screwdriver will help you push the old battery out with ease;
Place the new battery in the same position. Make sure you put it in right, by having the number embedded on the battery visible after installation;
07. Put the buttons back into their position and place back the other plastic parts you removed from the key fob. Make sure everything is properly closed; Position the metal key back into its slot, inside the key fob.
How much it cost to replace a jeep key fob?
If you want to have the battery of a jeep key fob replaced by a professional, you may end up paying $3.50 to $9 for the battery, plus a few more taxes for the replacement itself.
The prices depend on the battery you need and choose to purchase and the service provider that does this for you.
It is worth knowing that if you tried opening the jeep key fob yourself and stripped it with a screwdriver in the process, battery removal, in this case, will be refused and you’ll have to buy a new key fob.
This can make you spend tens of dollars, depending on your key fob model. So, if you want to save money and do this on your own, do it with extra care and patience.
What are the benefits of using a key fob instead of a proximity key?
A proximity key is probably the simplest type of remote-control access to a car. It allows us to unlock and lock the car by simply operating the small device.
While a key fob is also a small device, which works in a remote manner, it takes this kind of technology to another level.
Advanced key fobs will make the car open its doors are soon as you get near them, so pressing a button is no longer needed.
Locking the car will also be done this way, as soon as you walk away. Some of these key fobs can even help you start the car’s engine and save preferences such as steering wheel position, seating adjustments, temperature settings in the cabin, musical preferences, and more.
How To Open Jeep Key Fob In Jeep Cherokee
If you own a Grand Cherokee Jeep, you’re probably interested in how to open the key fob of your vehicle. This operation is necessary in order to replace a depleted battery with a brand new one.
Opening the key fob of a Grand Cherokee Jeep is not that complicated. Here is what you need to do.
- First, get the metal key out by grabbing onto it and completely removing it from the fob;
- With the help of a small flat screwdriver, split the key fob in half by positioning in between the two sections of the fob, highly visible after removing the metal key;
- Position the tip of the screwdriver between the two sections and, while holding the fob with the other hand, gently twist the screwdriver until the halves begin to separate;
- Then work your way with the screwdriver on the sides, helping the plastic halves go apart even more;
- Once you can open it with your hands, remove the plastic part of the fob this way;
- Then use the screwdriver to remove another plastic piece that surrounds the buttons of the fob;
- Take the small unit containing the buttons out from the fob with your hand. This will reveal the location of the battery;
How long a key fob battery last on operating regular?
According to CR 2032 manufacturers, this kind of battery can have a lifespan of up to 10 years, due to its low-discharge properties.
Used under normal conditions, which means recommended temperature values and adequate usage of the key fob, such a battery can indeed last for quite a while.
Thus, replacing a battery in a key fob is not going to be a periodic routine. Just make sure to purchase high-quality batteries if you want them to last.
How To Program a Jeep Key Fob
Because most jeep key fobs are security devices that embed the latest security technologies, programming such a device on your own is not possible.
That is unless you have a rather old jeep model. These days, these key fobs are smart keys, which do not allow self-programming or onboard programming.
You will need the help of a jeep dealership or automotive locksmith to program such a key fob.
This is because special equipment, like a programming machine, is required to adequately program a jeep key fob.
The key fob is programmed by connecting the programming machine or equipment to the car’s computer.
So, to avoid unpleasant events caused by a key fob that needs programming, have an additional key program for your car and make it a spare key fob.
The best part is that you can program an additional jeep key fob on your own, by using your original key fob. All you need to do is order the same key fob model.
Approximate Cost of Change Battery in Jeep Key Fob
In case you cannot start your car because you need to program your key fob, you will have to tow your car to the dealership or automotive locksmith to get the matter solved.
In other words, you will have to pay the towing services, which can be $70 or more, and the key programming services, which cost around $80.
AmazonBasics CR2032 3 Volt Lithium Coin Cell Battery – 4-Pack
Lithium-ion batteries are the most recommended when it comes to jeep key fobs. They are made to function well for long periods, providing up to 10 years of shelf-life.
This pack from AmazonBasics contains batteries ideal for car key fobs, remote controls, watches, and a wide range of other types of electronics.
With a capacity of 225 mAh and 3V power, these small batteries are indeed fully reliable, regardless of their final destination.
VOFONO Keyless Entry Remote Car Smart Key Fob
Do you need a smart key fob replacement for your car? Then you should choose well, to avoid unpleasant surprises.
What does this mean? It means that if you have a Grand Cherokee Jeep, the smart key fob must be suitable for this car make.
This product provided by VOFONO is suitable for 2014-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles and it is available for a decent price.
If you need a key fob replacement, this product can represent an ideal choice. Just do remember that it needs proper programming done by a dealership representative or authorized automotive locksmith.
Common Problems and solutions Of Jeep Key Fob
The metal key is not coming out
When looking to remove the metal key from the key fob, make sure to have the key tucked in the key fob, just like when you’re not using the device.
If the metal key is out, like when you’re looking to ignite the car’s engine, you will not be able to pull the key out.
When the metal key is tucked in, you can pull it out by grabbing onto its metal end.
The key fob is not coming apart
By using a small screwdriver, you should be able to pull the key fob apart. If it doesn’t come off with minimum effort, dust, grime, or even drink spills may be the cause you can’t pull the plastic parts apart.
If you can’t seem to do it, no matter how you try, it’s best to ask the help of a specialist, before ending up damaging the key fob.
I cannot remove the key fob’s buttons
In this case, the screwdriver should be positioned on the side of the button unit. Again, gently twist the screwdriver, making the unit come off like the other plastic parts.
Maintenance of Key Fob
A jeep key fob requires very little maintenance. If you keep it in a safe place, away from being damaged, you will not have any issues with your key fob.
The only kind of maintenance a jeep key fob requires is a battery replacement when the existent one stops functioning.
In rare instances, the key fob may require programing, a case in which you will need the help of a specialist.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Always buy a CR 2032 battery for your jeep key job. It won’t work with other types of batteries;
- Handle the key fob with care when replacing the battery, to avoid unwanted damages;
- Take good care of your jeep key fob to prolong the battery’s lifespan;
- Do not open the key fob in a brutal manner when using a screwdriver. A damaged key fob will be refused by a professional in case you will decide to opt for battery replacement services;
- Do not try to use other types of batteries for your key fob. They won’t work and may risk damaging your key fob or ruin its initial programming;
- Don’t keep the key fob in extreme heat or freezing cold, as they will affect the lifespan of the battery;
- Don’t put the key fob close to drinks, to avoid accidental spills on the device;
FAQ’s of How To Change Battery of a Jeep Key Fob
01. Can I replace a jeep key fob battery on my own?
Yes, you can replace a jeep key fob battery on your own. You just need a bit of time and patience to open the key fob, remove the old battery, and place it in the new battery.
02. Will the jeep key fob require programming after a battery change?
No, usually the key fob will work just fine after a battery replacement. If it doesn’t, you may need to program the key fob receiver. If this doesn’t work, you may need to ask for the assistance of a professional.
03. How much will it cost to charge the battery in my jeep key fob?
If you change the jeep key fob battery on your own, you will end up paying just a few dollars, to purchase CR 2032 batteries.
If you want to have this done by a professional, you will pay for the battery and extra taxes for the service itself.
04. What to do if I can’t change the battery in the jeep key fob?
In case you can’t handle a battery change on your own, it is always best to opt for professional services.
Mishandling the key fob or performing the operation in a wrong manner can lead to serious damages to the jeep key fob
Replacing the battery of a jeep key fob is not a complicated operation that can be done by anyone. You just need a bit of willpower and patience.
Because you are working with a small device, you must pay extra attention to avoid damages. Apart from that, your jeep key fob should work just fine after the old battery has been replaced with a brand new one, of proper quality.