Before starting our blog on how to remove Jeep Wrangler grill, we need to go back to the past. With the evolution of the automobile industry, the Jeep Wrangler has evolved since 1986. It is manufactured by Jeep.
The company was founded in 1943. Their main goal was to produce World war 2 “Jeep” for military operations.
In 1986 company released the civilian version of the Jeep known as the Jeep Wrangler. It is simply an SUV with the ability to drive off-road.
In 2017, Toledo Complex released the Jeep Wrangler series as The Wrangler JL (fourth generation).
“In all Wrangler models comes with amazing features and over time it has evolved into one of the best jeep models in the modern world.”
Below is some of the Jeep Wrangler models since 1991:
- Wrangler YJ – 1987
- Wrangler TJ – 1996
- Wrangler JK – 2007
- Wrangler JL – 2018
What is the significance of a Jeep Wrangler grill?
If we talk about the Jeep Wrangler grill, it is a popular meme to remind us that the Jeep was the first vehicle to be driven on all seven continents. Moreover, the face of your vehicle is the grill. If you want to enhance the make-up and stylishness of your rig, then there is no better place to start.
Apart from being functional, grills play two significant roles. First, it covers the engine of your vehicle to safeguard it from dust and debris. Second, grills enable the airflow to the engine to avoid it from being overheated. In the earlier days, grills were far more vital for freezing than they are nowadays. Likewise, they were one of the leading devices of cooling devices for your vehicle.
“Now, to keep the engine from overheating, engineers have developed all types of resourceful ways. Consequently, grills mainly serve a shielding and enhancing role today.”
That is why its designs come with a seven-slot grille. But you will need to remove the grill at some point, so it is vital to know how to remove Jeep Wrangler grill and why you should remove it.
Why do you need to remove Jeep Wrangler grill?
Why do people want to remove this popular symbol? It depends on your requirements. Here are some reasons to consider:
To Install a new grill for your Jeep
With modern technology, there are various types of Jeep Wrangler grills available in the market. Maybe you need to remove your old-looking grill and install a brand new stylish grill for your ride. Maybe you need a new angry grill for your Wrangler YJ or Wrangler TJ.
To do some repairs for Jeep Wrangler
If you need to do repairs around the Jeep Wrangler grill area, you will need to remove it temporarily. After the grill is out of the way, it is effortless to pull the engine out.
To avoid getting your Jeep Wrangler to overheat
Sometimes Jeep Wrangler grill can be the cause of heating issues. They block airflow through the radiator. It may cause a heating issue in your Jeep Wrangler. Removing the grill may be a different route to protect your radiator.
How to remove Jeep Wrangler grill?
In this case, it will vary depending on the model of the Jeep Wrangler. There is no considerable difference in how you execute the procedure for each model. But there is some minor thing you have to execute to get it right carefully. Once you master the process for one model, it should be the same for all other model variants. So let us find out how to remove Jeep Wrangler grill for each model.
How to remove Jeep Wrangler YJ grill?
Before you start removing the grill, you should consider removing the radiator. It will give you a much larger space to work.
It is your choice; you can execute this with or without the radiator. In this case, you have to follow the steps mentioned below judiciously:
- First, disconnect the battery. As you are going to work on lots of connections, it may short something. Also, it is essential for your safety.
- Remove all the wire harnesses from the headlights and turn signal. In the case of the turn signal, you may need to remove the blub too. Then you will be able to remove the wire harnesses from both turn signals. Besides, you will need a screwdriver for accomplishing this task. Also, do not forget to tape all the wire connections and mark everything to avoid getting into trouble when you reassemble it.
- After confiscating the wire harnesses, take out the slight air intake. Just pull it out after pushing the plastic tabs.
- Eradicate the five bolts that are on each side under each fender.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar that runs from the firewall off to the front grill.
- Finally, get rid of the one mount under the front bumper. And with that grill should lift off pretty quickly.
How to remove Jeep Wrangler TJ grill?
- First, detach the battery. After all, your safety matters a lot.
- Take your headlights out completely. Please remember not to mess with beam adjustment screws and remove the three screws in the back of each headlight.
- Then remove all the wire harnesses just like in the Wrangler YJ Step 02.
- Remove both the stabilizer bars that run from the firewall off to the front grill.
- Finally, take out the one mount under the front bumper. And that is it. Your grill is ready to come out.
How to remove Jeep Wrangler JK grill?
- First, remove the six retaining clips/plastic pins on top of the grill. You can complete this efficiently with a flat screwdriver. Put the flat screwdriver under the plastic pin and rotate it down.
- Then swing the grill forward. Just pull it frontward. Likewise, this will disconnect the pressure clips on the bottom edge of the grill.
- In this step, first, locate the signal lights behind the grill. Then unclip the signal lamps by turning each corresponding arm 90 degrees or turn counterclockwise. Now your grill is free to remove.
How to remove Jeep Wrangler JL grill?
- First, take out the six retaining clips/plastic pins on top of the grill. You can get it done with a flat screwdriver rapidly. Place the flat screwdriver under the plastic pin and rotate it down.
- Then swing the grill forward and pull it headfirst. Moreover, this will disconnect the pressure clips on the bottom edge of the grill. Also, it will free your Jeep Wrangler JL grill. Now it is ready to be lifted off.
With these steps, you will get a sound knowledge and understanding of how to remove Jeep Wrangler grill for any model. As you can see, both Wrangler YJ and Wrangler TJ have a similar process of removing the grill.
“Besides, the process is a little complicated and challenging to execute; as you can understand, both are very old models. But when it comes to Wrangler JK and Wrangler JL, removing the grill is not that tough.”
In Wrangler JL, you could complete it with just two simple steps. By going through the information mentioned above, you will remove the grill for any Wrangler model. For this, you have to be careful and patient.