The jeep wrangler is an excellent vehicle. This vehicle is utility-based and is impeccable for off-road drives. Moreover, almost all jeep wranglers have a four-wheel-drive system. This gives better terrain responses and an unstoppable off-road experience. Today we are sharing here how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive for your better knowledge.
Moreover, the Jeep wrangler has monstrous power along with a four-wheel-drive system. This gives the ultimate dominating off-road power that a vehicle needs. Further, the vehicle stops for nothing, giving an impeccable experience.
Four-wheel drive (4WD) will give you excellent power, consisting of better traction control on slippery roads. Most of the jeep drivers do not understand the shifting process of the four-wheel-drive system.
You have a four-wheel-drive jeep wrangler for sure. However, you need to understand how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive. Moreover, there are no huge differences between the varying brands. Further, you should follow your brand’s user manual guide for proper applications.
Today, we will be understanding how to put a jeep wrangler in a 4 wheel drive system.
How to Put Jeep Wrangler in 4 Wheel Drive?
Your jeep is equipped with a four-wheel-drive system. However, that does not mean you have to use the four-wheel-drive system all the time. Moreover, you can use the 4WD system during the need for greater traction control.
There are two main types of 4WD. Each one of them has its particular use. However, we should have a better understanding of how the gears work and their uses before understanding the shifting gears of your jeep wrangler.
The Gear Choices
2HI / 2H
These types of gears are used on the dry surface. Further, you can use it for extra performance like heavy traction on a rough road. Moreover, you can also use it on sandy roads, icy roads, and more. This gear gives the ultimate support for your jeep wrangler.
It activates the front wheel for better traction in challenging conditions as listed above. Moreover, this will significantly increase the driving stability of your jeep wrangler.
4Lo / 4L
This gear set gives your vehicle maximum power along with stability. However, you will get less speed but give your jeep wrangler the ability to handle the harshest road conditions.
This gear is engaged in mud, rock, or sharp and steep surfaces. Moreover, it is also engaged during dense snow. This gear position activates all the four-wheel-drive systems in a lower range and lower gear ratio.
Furthermore, a lower gear ratio gives the vehicle decreased speed but a higher torque level. Moreover, this gear ratio gives higher braking strength along with much easier control.
Now you should know how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive.
Switching Gears On The Jeep Wrangler
You know what the gears of the four-wheel-drive system are. Now you will understand how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive. Moreover, let’s look at how you can effectively shift the gears of your jeep wrangler and know about how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive.
- The first step tells you if you need to change gears. It is the gear determining step. Moreover, you need to change gears when the road conditions are suitable for them. For example, when you are traveling from a concrete road to a muddy road. For such conditions, you need to change your gears.
- Stop your jeep wrangler and then change the gear to your suitable choice. Now, change the gear shift knob from your present gear to neutral (N). Press the foot pedal softly and then change the gear from i4H to 4L or even 4L to 4H according to your choice of needs.
- Now, move the gear selector from N to your chosen position. Moreover, move the selector to D (drive) after you are done selecting gears. Now, continue driving your jeep wrangler. These are some steps about how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive.
Changing Multiple Gears
Above, we have described the general process of shifting your jeep wrangler gears. However, we will now look at how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive.
Shifting From 2H to 4H or Vice Versa
You can shift these gears when your jeep wrangler is running or is ideal in a position. Moreover, the transfer will be faster while momentarily release the acceleration pedal. Further, we advise you to apply constant force when you are shifting gears.
Shifting From 4H to 4L or Vice Versa
Sometimes, you might need maximum traction. You need to shift your jeep wrangler gear to 4 low. However, there are some steps to do that. First, slow down your jeep wrangler to around 2-4 mph.
Now, shift your gear to neutral and then slowly pull the gear lever back. Finally, put your jeep wrangler gear back. Moreover, this is enough to make you go again.
However, you need to apply 4WD for wet or even loose conditions. For such, you need to avoid pausing your gear position to neutral (N). Moreover, just shift gear to your choice without pausing at N.
Now, we will give some tips and tricks about the gear shifting process of the Jeep Wrangler.
Some Do’s, Don’ts, Tips, And Short Tricks
- Use 4H for slippery or wet driving road surfaces at around 40 to 60 mph. This will give your jeep wrangler the best driving performance and stability.
- Never move your jeep wrangler’s gear selector from 2H to 4L or even vice versa directly. First, shift from 2H to 4H and then to 4L.
- Never exceed 25mph on 4L gear position.
- You need to shift to neutral for disengaging from 4WD.
- Always check the user manual if you are in any doubts!
The Jeep Wrangler is a very capable vehicle. There are certain applications of four-wheel drive. You need to understand the mechanism of four-wheel drive and when you need to use each gear position.
We have discussed above how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive. Moreover, always take account of your gear position and the driving conditions.
Shift your car gear to preferable positions depending on the road and weather conditions.