Do you want to transport one bike or more on the back of your truck? If so, do you know how to do it? Maybe you plan to hold the bike in place by tying it with a rope. Although this sounds great, one problem can occur. The bike can move around while driving and scratch the truck’s paint. More to say, if you have more than one bike to transport in one trip, forget about tying them with a rope. Instead, select the best tailgate pad. A pad for your pickup will be useful each time you need to carry one or more bikes. Further, the pad’s design is perfect. Moreover, it has sufficient padding to keep the truck’s paint intact.
If you select the right tailgate pad, you will get value for your money and receive a useful item for multiple uses. Additionally, pickup pads are universal, meaning that they will work with any type of bike. Thus, you should focus on selecting the best tailgate pad rather than your bike type. Additionally, most tailgate pads will fit on the tailgates of virtually all trucks. Hence, installation is easy and quick. Without further ado, we will review the top 10 tailgate pads. Hopefully, you will make a wise purchase decision after reading this review.
Comparison Table of The Best Tailgate Pad
|01. Dakine 8300997|
|02. Yakima 8002456|
|03. Demon demontgs|
|04. Thule 824|
|05. EVOC 100516100|
|06. RaceFace FA561008|
|07. Thule 808|
|08. EVOC 100516307-XL|
|09. Surf to Summit|
|10. Fox Racing 15694-001|
Read More: 10 Best Replacement Shocks for Ford Ranger.
10 Best Tilgate Pad for Bikes 2022
01. Sturdy Dakine Pick-Up Pad
- Black in color
- 7 large bike anchor straps
- 5 small bike anchor straps
- Dual-density foam, 20mm fleece-lined
- 3 web cinch straps
- Velcro flap for tailgate handles
- Ideal for conventional tailgates.
- Brand: Dakine
- Model: 8300997
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 2×15.75×5.91”
If you wish to buy the best tailgate pad, check this one out. According to the manufacturer, the Dakine Pickup Pad is ideal for shuttling a mountain bike. Without a doubt, it can securely transport 7 mountain bikes at once. In this situation, you need to have a full-size pickup truck. However, if you own a small to mid-size truck, you can only transport 5 bikes using this pad. Moreover, you should secure each bike tightly using an anchor strap.
As I have said above, the product includes a separate anchor strap for each bike. Therefore, if you want to secure 7 bikes on your pickup, you will have 7 individual anchor straps. Thus, you need to use one per bike. In addition, there is a protective barrier between your pickup floor and the bikes. This buffer consists of 20mm thick dual-density foam with a fleece lining. Moreover, the kit includes a tailgate handle flap for keeping the tailgate functional.
Most importantly, the Dakine Pickup Pad can hold several mountain bikes at once. As a result, it is ideal for big groups. If you are a group of people looking to haul 7 or more bikes, this is the best tailgate pad. Even though you want to pull bikes from the truck, the pad will help prevent scratches.
- Separate bike anchor straps
- Strong craftsmanship
- A tailgate access flap
- Three web cinch straps to secure bikes to the tailgate.
- The paint will stay the same
- Zero bike movements when driving.
- It can be hard to install on certain pickup models
- Signs of compression and wear after a couple of uses.
02. Yakima Crashpad Truck Bed Pad with Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Made of High-density foam
- Made of Ballistic Nylon fabric
- Black in color
- Compatible with most tailgate shapes
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Medium and large sizes available
- Velcro flap allows easy tailgate access
- Hassle-free bike loading.
- Brand: Yakima
- Model: 8002456
- Weight: 4.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 62x16x3 inches.
The Yakima Crashpad Truck Bed Pad could be the best tailgate pad for you. Compared to other tailgate pads, this one is different. First, it lacks anchor straps for securing bikes on the tailgate. Instead, it consists of high-density foam that can keep the bikes stable and also in one place as you drive. So, load your bikes on the truck’s tailgate and then drive away. Surprisingly, they will stay intact. In addition, the Yakima’s Crashpad boasts ballistic nylon fabric and high-density foam is long-lasting.
Besides, the foam is a bumper between the truck’s surface and bike. Moreover, the Yakima Crashpad is a multi-use item. Aside from your bike, you can also haul your surfboard or another long item. Unquestionably, the truck bed pad will keep everything stable while you drive. Again, your pickup will stay scratch-free each time you use the Crashpad.
- This is a durable as well as beautiful tailgate pad
- The high-density foam prevents scratches
- It is a multi-use tailgate pad
- Also, it doesn’t need straps to keep bikes stable.
- It can be hard to clean if neglected
- Some found that it can hide the camera.
03. Demon Tailgate Pad: Tool Pocket, Tailgate Cover, Mountain Bikes
- Made of heavy-duty vinyl and 20mm foam
- Black in color
- UV resistant thread
- A small size, 54” wide
- A large size, 62” wide
- Good quality web cinch strap
- Two pockets to store your gear
- Separate straps for bicycles.
- Brand: Demon United
- Model: demontgs
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Dimensions: 55 x 20 x 3.7 inches.
The Demon Tailgate Cover boasts premium quality construction. Firstly, the padding is 20mm thick and secondly, the fabric cover is made of heavy-duty vinyl. As a result, the padding can keep your bikes stable and safe. Next, there is a high-quality UV-resistant thread that can also withstand bad summer and winter weather and keep being durable. It is the best tailgate pad to use when taking many bikes to the trails or a camping trip is this one.
Equally important, the design is compatible with most trucks’ measurements. It can fit almost all of them. Furthermore, it provides easy access if you have a small truck about 54 inches wide. A small truck can use this pad to carry five bikes. Likewise, this tailgate pad can hold up to 7 seven bikes if your truck’s surface is 62 inches wide. Also, three straps surround the tailgate. As well, there are high-quality web cinch straps for strapping the pad in one place. Above all, there is an access flap that enables you to open the tailgate while the pad is on top of it.
So, this is the most convenient tailgate cushion. That is to say, you should hook and loop the bike frame holders to stabilize your bikes. Additionally, it has two tool pockets on the bedside that allows storage of tools. As Demon United is a huge, USA-based company with a huge line of gravity sports products, and operates internationally, you should trust it. Hence, this is one of the leading tailgate pads you can purchase.
- This pad fits different types of bikes
- This pad includes 2 velcro pockets for storing tools
- It is an inexpensive option
- You can install it fast.
- There are complaints about the straps
- Different truck models can use this pad.
04. Thule Gate Mate Tailgate pad
- Heavy-duty Vinyl cover
- Thick foam padding
- Black in color
- Nylon straps
- A small size option, 54 inches wide
- Large-sized(62 inches wide)
- Integrated Knock-BlocksTM
- Handle HooldTM.
- Brand: Thule
- Model: 824
- Dimensions: 22 x 11 x 20 inches.
Thule GateMate Tailgate is a nice bicycle pad for transporting your bicycles. Immediately after delivery, the pad is ready for use. Besides, it boasts a heavy-duty vinyl cover with thick foam padding. As well, the padding will rest between the bike and the truck’s surface. Therefore, it will protect the truck’s surface from scratches and the paintwork will be fine. Since there are two different pad sizes, you have options. Firstly, you have a 54 inches wide pad. And, if you own a small truck, this will be the most appropriate pad.
Conversely, if your truck is large, you can buy the 62 inches wide tailgate pad. What is more, it has knock-blocks that can keep your bikes from sliding off the pad’s edge and fall onto the bare tailgate. On the whole, these knock-blocks prevent damage to the bike or pickup. Besides, Thule is a big corporation with a good reputation for building excellent products. As a result, its pad comes with a Handle Hood™ feature that gives you access to the tailgate handle even without removing your pad. In addition, it has strong nylon straps and anchors are for securing your bike to the tailgate. Further, you can use these anchors to tie-down points for any other load. Certainly, the straps will keep bikes and loads securely attached to the car’s tailgate.
- Top-quality construction materials
- Excellent craftsmanship as well as stylish
- Thick padding keeps scratches away
- The side foam will also stop the bikes from sliding off the pad.
- Cannot buckle down to the vehicle
- Requires different straps for bikes.
05. EVOC Bike Tailgate Pad – Full-Size Truck Beds, Black
- Tarpaulin Exterior
- Foam padding interior
- Fleece lining
- 6 bikes loading capacity
- Quick tailgate release flap for quick access
- EVOC Guarantee on workmanship
- 24 months warranty
- Two designs – World Map and Company Logo
- Black or olive in color
- Brand: Evoc
- Model: 100516100
- Weight: 1 pound
- Dimensions: 28 x19 x7 inches.
This is the best tailgate pad if you aim at maximum protection. It is strong due to the tarpaulin exterior and foam padding interior. More to say, the two can resist cuts and scratches. What is more, they can resist UV damage and water damage. Likewise, there is a fleece lining on the side of the pad that sits on the truck surface and it cannot ruin the paint. Certainly, the Evoc Tailgate Pad is large enough to hold six bikes. So it is a large capacity bike pad that will protect your bike when loading and driving.
This is an extra-large bike pad measure 63 by 39 by 0.98 inches. Hence, it can fit a full-size truck tailgate with a minimum width of 156cm on the inside and a height of 58cm on the outside. In addition, the item comes with tailgate access enabled by a Velcro flap. Thus, you can access the tailgate handle without interfering with the bikes on the pad. Additionally, EVOC offers every customer its guarantee. To clarify, it warrants that the pad does not have a defect in construction and materials.
What is more, there is a 24months warranty to enjoy. Moreover, if you own a Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Chevrolet Canyon, or a Toyota Tacoma, this could be the best tailgate pad for you.
- It is a very attractive tailgate pad
- As well, it consists of polyurethane coating
- As well as choosing the World Map design you can pick the Company Logo
- The pad is compact as well as lightweight for easy handling.
- It can obstruct a backup camera
- It is not easy to use the straps.
06. RaceFace Tailgate Pad
- Made of a Denier Fabric with DWR treatment
- Black in color, a logo
- A large option and an XL 61-inches wide option
- Micro-brushed inner lining
- Raised square pads
- Velcro webbing loop and strap
- Raised bumpers.
- Brand: Race Face
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Dimensions: 62 x 17 x4 inches.
If you want the best tailgate pad, Race Face provides one of the best. Moreover, it boasts some unique features that other pads of the same caliber don’t have. To illustrate, raised bumpers that face the inside of the truck bed prevent bikes from contacting each other when driving. That is to say that the bumpers prevent damage to the bikes. In addition, there are extra raised square pads down the outer tailgate that provide additional safety by holding forks in one place.
What is more, the Velcro-backed webbing loop and straps will secure your bikes when the topography gets steep. Furthermore, it is hard to ignore the fact that this pad is made of strong material. Also, the denier fabric with DWR treatment forms part of the outer shell and is super strong. Additionally, it has a durable herringbone tweed pattern which looks beautiful and stylish. So, if you want a tailgate pad that can last longer and provide all the benefits, then this is the best pick.
- It is easy to load your bikes on top of the tailgate pad
- This is an easy maintenance pad
- Bikes lounge securely and can’t move
- Also, the tailgate has additional bumpers.
- The materials used to manufacture the pad can fade
- If you have a new model truck, the pad might fit poorly.
07. Thule Tailgate Pad – For Surfboards and Paddleboards
- Black in color, silver logo
- UV-proof and fade-proof fabric
- Quick and easy to attach and detach
- A reliable strap system including 1×4 feet long straps
- One size only is available and it’s 18 inches wide
- Separately sold board tie-down straps.
- Brand: Thule
- Model: 808
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Dimensions: 21 x 9 x 4 inches.
This is one of the safest and most convenient tailgate surf rack pads for pickup beds. Although many tailgate pads on the market help transport bikes, this one is for ferrying surfboards and paddle-boards. Additionally, this product is for use in the sun and near water. As a consequence, you can take it to the beaches or any other outdoor place without the fear of damaging it. Moreover, the pad can withstand UV radiation and water exposure. Further, the color will not fade as it can resist fading and the pad will stay strong even with prolonged exposure to the sun.
What is more, the strong strap is 1 inch wide and 4 inches long and it is for strapping your board. As well, you can purchase separate straps for the board’s end that lies next to the truck bed. Furthermore, these straps don’t come with the product. Certainly, this is the easiest pad to install and detach. Additionally, this is the pad you have been searching for if you are a frequent surfer. As well as help you haul your paddleboard and surfboard, it will prevent loss or damage.
- This is the best tailgate pad for surfboards and paddleboards
- Also, you can secure it tightly on the truck
- In addition to quick and easy installation, you can remove it fast
- Likewise, this is the right pad for rough roads and long trips.
- It is not a pad for bikes
- You will buy tie-down straps separately.
08. Best Tailgate PadZydeck Tailgate Pad, One of the best tailgate pad
- Construction materials are Tarpaulin and EVA
- Compatible with medium-size and large-size trucks
- Medium-Large size and Extra Large size
- Can transport six bikes
- Black in color
- Three nylon straps
- Soft underside lining.
- Brand: EVOC
- Weight:1 pounds
- Dimensions: 28 x 19 x 7 inches.
One thing that makes this the best tailgate pad is the construction material. Tarpaulin and EVA produce a very strong product. Accordingly, the pad can last longer and save you from spending more money. Additionally, this pad has two sizes so that you can select the best for your truck size. Also, if you have a medium or large-sized truck, choose the M/L option, which is 53.15 x 33.08 x1”. On the other hand, select the XL option for your large-size truck. Its dimensions are 63.4 x 38.98 x 1inch.
The larger pad can handle up to six bikes and it is the best choice for a group of people on a biking expedition. In addition, the Zydeck Tailgate Pad is easy to install and uninstall and it seems like an occasional use item. Moreover, it offers the most convenient way to protect the surfaces of your auto when transporting many bikes. Although there are no special features, this product is quite reliable when transporting many bikes. Also, the pad is cheaper than similar products and so many can afford it.
More to the point, if you have a medium size Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, Colorado, Honda Ridgeline, GMC Canyon, or Toyota Tacoma, then select the small-sized tailgate pad. Conversely, select the large-sized pad for your Nissan Titan, GMC Sierra, Chevrolet Silverado, Ford F, or Toyota Tundra.
- It is ideal for occasional use
- This pad is affordable
- It is uncomplicated and easy to install and detach
- Can hold up to 6 bikes.
- Unlike other pads, the flap does not align with the tailgate handle
- It has not additional useful features.
09. Surf to Summit Tailgate Truck Pad for Bikes and Small Surf Boards
- Heavy-duty 600 Denier Fabric
- Thick foam padding
- Soft Felt underside lining
- Sturdy webbing
- Tailgate handle access flap
- Strap anchors
- Black in color
- 2 big zipper storage pockets.
- Brand: Surf to Summit
- Model: TGP
- Weight: 7 pounds
Is this the best tailgate pad to buy? Certainly, this will depend on what you are searching for. In any case, only you know how you intend to use your tailgate pad. Meanwhile, you need to know that this product is one of the strongest and will last long. In addition, the cover is made of heavy-duty 600 denier fabric. Further, the thick foam padding has what it takes to keep your truck surface scratch-free. Additionally, it has a Soft Felt underside lining that can protect your truck’s paintwork.
Besides, the heavy-duty webbing securely holds the pad to the truck’s tailgate. Furthermore, there are strap anchors that can provide secure tie-down points for bikes to avoid accidental slips and damage. And to access the tailgate handle, you should simply use an access flap that is already provided. Moreover, the pad comes with raised blocks on the back for extra stability when ferrying bikes. In short, the Surf to Summit Tailgate Pad is an item that consists of everything you require as a lover of biking. As a result, you can carry up to six bikes at once, you should make this your best tailgate pad today.
- There are raised pads for keeping the bike frames stable
- You receive two zipper pockets for storing things
- Heavy-duty construction for durability
- Thick padding to keep the auto from scratches
- You can transport six bikes at once.
- Velcro on bike straps is insufficient
- It is not very easy to access the tailgate handle.
10. Fox Racing Tailgate Protection Pad for Mountain Bikes, MX Bikes Gear
- Nylon and Foam Padding materials
- Black color, fox racing logo, or camo
- A small-size pad for five bikes(54 inches wide)
- A large-size pad for six bikes(62 inches wide)
- A tailgate handle access flap.
- Brand: Fox Racing
- Model: 15694-001
- Weight: 32 pounds
- Dimensions: 86 x 61.81 x 18.9”
The most attractive thing about this tailgate cover is that it can give premium protection. Without a doubt, it will protect your bike, truck, and gear all through your ride. Furthermore, it can hold either five or six bikes depending on the size of your truck. To clarify, the small to medium size truck pad measures 54 by 33.5 by 16 inches whereas the large size truck pad is 62 by 34 by 19 inches. Thus, if you have a full-size truck of any model or make, choose the large pad as it can suit different trucks.
Moreover, if you want to access your equipment, there is a flap that provides access to your truck and tailgate handle. More to the point, you should not remove the flap every time you want to get your gear. Instead of that, toss your tailgate cover on, cinch it down, and do your business. Without a doubt, this pad is the most beautiful and stylish because of the signature Fox Head logo. Thus, you will have a cover that will protect your truck from scratches and do it in style. Besides, the Fox Racing tailgate cover has strong webbed straps that hold it strongly onto the tailgate. Finally, the item includes individual attachment loops for straps to help you secure your bikes further when needed.
- Produced by Fox Racing, a big producer of sports gear
- Provides two color options and a stylish Fox Head Logo
- Two size options to suit your truck size
- Has a truck and tailgate access flap.
- As far as construction, it’s not good enough
- Might require getting used to first.
Buying Guide for The Best Tailgate Pad
Cycling is a popular hobby and people often travel before starting to cycle their preferred route. No one wants a damaged car. So, purchasing a tailgate pad makes sense. This will be to the bike and the car. Take the following into account and get the best tailgate pad for your vehicle.
You may get hurt by an unsuitable pad, and you could hurt others. For example, if bikes are not secure, they could fall off. Imagine the outcome of one falling off when you are on a busy road. Additionally, you don’t want to get hurt untangling them when offloading them. So, you must keep the bikes stable and fit the pad properly.
If you use the wrong pad, protection will be little. As a result, check the size of the truck and the size of the pad. One company may provide a small pad that fits. With another, you might need a large. Additionally, there are standard sizes, but it is important to check with the manufacturer. Generally, read reviews and find out what previous users have to say regarding the best tailgate pad.
Protect your Paint
Naturally, thick padding is going to offer more protection. Therefore, the underside is equally important and should be made from a soft material. Besides, if there is one with an extra side pad, then consider that one. There will be less risk of the bike becoming dislodged when traveling.
You don’t want to keep replacing the pad. If you ride regularly, then look for a hard-wearing tailgate pad. Some withstand all weather and you need to remove them. Short, infrequent trips should allow you to buy an inexpensive model.
Frequently Asked Questions for The Best Tailgate Pad
Do I Need a Tailgate Pad?
It is not a law but makes sense when you consider the safety aspects. It also saves time and money when it comes to the paintwork.
What should they be made from?
You should search for nylon and thick foam tailgate pad; it will be a good product to have.
Can I Get Any One I Want?
Not quite – you can get one that is going to fit the truck correctly.
Are the Pads All Weather?
No. You have to remove some pads if the weather is very wet or extremely hot
How Long Will a Tailgate Pad Last?
This depends on how you use your tailgate pad. Some will deteriorate more quickly than others.
Finally, there are several things to check before buying the tailgate pad. It is however an important item to have if you cycle regularly. Online research and word of mouth are going to help you buy the best tailgate pad for your needs. It will save you money in the end. You will be able to enjoy your trips more knowing you are not damaging the bike or truck. It’s a small price to pay for that sort of peace of mind.